[ale] New SuSE 8.0

Dow Hurst dhurst at kennesaw.edu
Sat Apr 20 16:00:35 EDT 2002

I wanted to pass this on as it bears on some topics everyone might be
interested in.  I saw this announcement as a link on the IBM Linux-Line
April magazine website.  The Firewall2 is a YaST2 module for configuring
an iptables firewall rather than ipchains.  Also, for those running SuSE
7.3 right now:  I just ran the online update this morning and got some
KDE2 updates that really speeded up the login process.  :)

But, I had to chmod 4755 /opt/kde2/bin/artsd to fix a KDE2 login hang.
Also, after successfully logging in as root under KDE2, the dcopserver
can't connect with KLauncher so programs won't start from the graphical
menu. :(

I don't see why they couldn't have named this SuSE 7.4 though.  Must be
a marketing dude that made that decision.  I usually wait for x.1 or x.2
for bug fixes but the release number makes less sense these days so I
may try out the 8.0.  SuSE seems to provide bug fixes and security
patches for every release thru a set lifetime and each new release is
really to showcase new functionality instead of just bug fixes.  In a
couple of years we will be at Mandrake 41.2, SuSE 38.5, and Slackware 9.
;)
Dow

SuSE Linux 8.0 for April debut
At CeBIT 2002, SuSE Linux introduced its SuSE Linux 8.0 distribution,
saying it will be generally available this month. With its automated
installation support and graphical user interface KDE 3, SuSE Linux 8.0
aims mainly for the qualified user's desktop. Highlights of SuSE Linux
8.0 include:
- NEW: glibc 2.2.5 and kernel 2.4.18
- NEW: graphic support with XFree86 4.2 incl.GeForce3-support
- NEW: Included: SuSE Linux Firewall2
- NEW: Apache 1.3.23 Webserver and additional modules
- NEW: Samba 2.2.3a - File- and Printserver for Windows-networks
- NEW: Open Office (Beta), StarOffice 5.2
- NEW: Digital sound with ALSA 0.9
- NEW: DVD burning
- NEW: Borland Kylix 2
- NEW: GNOME 1.4.1 incl. Nautilus
- Journaling filesystems: ReiserFS, JFS, XFS und Ext3
- YaST2- Tool for Logical Volume Manager
- YaST2-Runleveleditor for selective activation of Server processes

For more information, go to:
http://www.suse.com