[ale] Kernel problem

David Corbin dcorbin at imperitek.com
Sat Apr 20 12:27:26 EDT 2002

James P. Kinney III wrote:

>One thing that can help with this is the Linux virtual server project.
>You can run a "base" linux kernel and new kernel inside it as virtual
>machines. This lets you test out a kernel.

But isn't that based on "virtual hardware", and thus not the "same
thing" as using my actual machine?

>Once you do "make oldconfig", you _still_ need to do make [x|menu]config
>as sometimes things do change that need manual intervention.

Since when?  Is that documented somewhere?  Can elaborate on this
comment about things needing "manual intervention"?

>Also, you didn't mention which init scrip it was hanging on.

Run level 2, it's after NTP starts, but NTP doesn't start in run level 1
(but it still hangs. I don't remember where).