[ale] Kernel problem

David Corbin dcorbin at imperitek.com
Sat Apr 20 09:25:09 EDT 2002

I have a 2.4.17 kernel that works well for me.   I download and build
2.4.18.  I copy the .config file from 2.4.17, do a "make oldconfig", and
build that kernel.  The -18 kernel will not boot for me.  It hangs up a
short way into the init.d scripts.

What is the correct thing to do to isolate the problem?  (Each failed
boot with 2.4.18 causes fsck to repair the filesystem, too, btw).

David

P.S. There is one problem with 2.4.17 - I hae an application that will
lock it up after 2-3 days, but I think that's related to a specific USB
device/driver.