[ale] Webserver and Java recommendations

Jim Philips jcphil at mindspring.com
Fri Apr 19 16:59:54 EDT 2002

For PHP, there is no reason not to go with the latest stable version, which is
4.1.2. The versions just before that, 4.1.0 & 4.1.2, had security problems.
Also, you want to be in the 4.x series, because that's where they added
session management. This is most likely a feature you will really want. I
would also recommend compiling your Web server and PHP from source, if you
don't find that to be too much trouble. Apache should be friendly to Tomcat,
since they are from the same people. But I have no experience in combining
PHP with Java. I think people normally choose one or the other, since they
are really covering the same kinds of functions. Was there a particular
reason you wanted to combine the two?