[ale] MS Propaganda representative

Jim Popovitch jimpop at rocketship.com
Wed Apr 17 19:59:08 EDT 2002

Hi
Jerome,
Thanks for the good level insight<SPAN
class=766145823-17042002> and answers and the unique perspective you
bring.

-Jim
P.
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr
style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Dennany, Jerome
  {D177~Roswell} [mailto:JEROME.DENNANY at ROCHE.COM]Sent: Wednesday,
  April 17, 2002 3:52 PMTo: 'ale at ale.org'Subject: RE:
  [ale] MS Propaganda representative
  Well, I'm a developer that currently works with .NET, and
  perhaps I can clear up a few points.  .NET people speak alot about the
  Internet, and providing software services over the internet.  It isn't
  specifically about running things over an open internet connection, but more a
  'distributed application' approach, which is pretty important in a large
  geographically distributed corporation.
  <SNIP> You will have to use MS
  Office, Windows etc. over the internet. Businesses will never go for
  that. </SNIP>
  While business may not be excited about using applications
  over the Internet, they are typically _VERY_ excited about centrally
  maintained applications, ease of deployment, etc.  So, while they may not
  be excited about MS Office over the Internet, the idea of the typical user
  running a session or certain types of software in a virtual environment is a
  system admin's dream.
  <SNIP> From what I gather, MS
  believes most everything will be done over the internet and <FONT
  size=2>because of that you will have to allow websites to execute code on
  your machine.  <FONT
  size=2></SNIP>
  .NET has a fine-grained security model, allowing system
  administrators (and programmers) detailed control over what can run (or should
  run - I'm a pragmatist, not a Microsoft apologist.  I understand that MS
  has a well-deserved bad reputation for security problems at both the OS and
  applications levels).  However, don't think that just because it _can_ be
  done, you can't turn it off.
  <SNIP> DLL's can be updated
  dynamically and programs changed almost dynamically. <FONT
  size=2></SNIP>
  This already happens with products like Symantec's live
  update.  From an administrator's standpoint, this can be a _good_
  thing.  The fewer desktops you have to visit to perform an applications
  upgrade, the more you can concentrate on your _real_ job (Automating your
  maintenance scripts so you can play more UT).
  <SNIP> Basically other people
  will have the ability to upgrade your machine at will! <FONT
  size=2></SNIP> I think this is it in a nutshell
  - you are looking at it from the perspective of a home user.  Look at it
  from a corporate perspective (which, let's face it, is how MS and all the
  other Software ISVs earn their real living).  It's NOT THE END USER'S
  MACHINE.  It belongs to the company.  If they want to update it
  dynamically, MS is providing the tools to perform this.
  <SNIP> He didn't give any
  details about the key but I'm assuming Microsoft will
  certify this stuff somehow. </SNIP>
  This will be verified the same as other software and SSL
  stuff.  The root key authorities (Verisign, et al) will provide the code
  signing keys.  MS will merely provide the framework and tools with which
  to sign / verify keys.
  <SNIP> I can't see people giving
  up total control of their computers.  It's just
  too risky with no rewards for the consumer.  <FONT
  size=2></SNIP>
  While I agree with you, how many people will fork out $500 for
  a copy of OfficeXP?  Not very many.  Now, ask that same group of
  people if they would pay $19.95 a month for Office.NET ?  Probably many
  more.  While you or I may not like this model, it's the one Americans are
  already familiar with.  Think cable.  Rent.  Car Lease.
  We are already used to the payment model.
  <SNIP> And businesses
  will never go for sending their sensitive data over
  the internet to MS's servers just to write a letter or
  update a spreadsheet. </SNIP> <FONT
  size=2>Again, do a global search and replace and exchange the words
  s/Internet/intranet/ Companies will have no problems
  doing all of this on their internet networks.  And that is what Microsoft
  is planning on (and software vendors and programmers like myself are counting
  on.)  It won't be about Really Big Company, Inc storing their stuff on
  the MS servers.  It will be about them licensing an Office.NET server (or
  server farm - remember, this is NT/W2K/XP, home of the 'little iron') with a
  60,000 user license.
  This is just the point of view of a single MS developer who's
  had some exposure to the technologies involved.  Everybody is entitled to
  their opinions, so please don't flame me for mine (though constructive
  argument and criticism is welcome!)
  Respectfully,
  Jerry Dennany
  -----Original Message----- From: Jeff
  Rose [<A
  href="mailto:jojerose at mindspring.com">mailto:jojerose at mindspring.com]
  Sent: Wednesday, April 17, 2002 3:46 PM <FONT
  size=2>To: ale at ale.org Subject: Re: [ale] MS
  Propaganda representative
         Actually it went quite
  well.  It was pretty interesting to hear MS's
  strategy first hand and I have to say.... I am quite excited about
  .Net.  I think this could be the best thing for
  Linux.  They are really trying to force people to
  use MS products over the internet.  Let me repeat
  ... You will have to use MS Office, Windows etc. over the <FONT
  size=2>internet. Businesses will never go for that.  Individuals will
  HATE it. You could hear a collective groan from the
  Softies in the room as they realised they wouldn't be
  able to use bootleg software anymore.  They want
  subscription services so bad they don't care how their customers
  react.  And of course if you let your subscription run
  out I believe you will lose the use of the
  software.  Forced upgrades on temporary <FONT
  size=2>software.  Unbelievable. <FONT
  size=2>          And the .Net
  platform?  Well I think parts of it are <FONT
  size=2>interesting and could actually be quite useful.  But other parts
  are quite scary.  I think it will be a security
  nightmare.  From what I gather, MS believes most
  everything will be done over the internet and because
  of that you will have to allow websites to execute code on your
  machine.  DLL's can be updated
  dynamically and programs changed almost dynamically.  The
  example the rep used was Coca Cola has 70,000 PC's and to
  update all of them to Office whatever would cost
  $30,000,000 on top of the licensing. With .Net
  downloading one DLL will upgrade them all because they aren't <FONT
  size=2>really on every machine.  Basically other people will have the
  ability to upgrade your machine at will!  But you
  could also use that to infect 70,000 machines at
  once!  But for security, your browser will tell you <FONT
  size=2>what is being done to your machine as it is being done and DLL's
  are required to have a proper key.  He didn't
  give any details about the key but I'm assuming
  Microsoft will certify this stuff somehow.  Time ran <FONT
  size=2>out as he was explaining how you could safely allow others to
  install and run code on your machine over the internet
  so I don't quite understand it.  <FONT
  size=2>        So if MS pulls this off they
  will be the supreme Lords of Computing but
  I can't see people giving up total control of their
  computers.  It's just too risky with no rewards
  for the consumer.  And businesses will never go
  for sending their sensitive data over the internet to MS's <FONT
  size=2>servers just to write a letter or update a spreadsheet.  So if
  MS doesn't back off on this, I think Linux will look
  mighty good to a whole lot of people.
  Jeff
  On Wed, 2002-04-17 at 12:54, Cade Thacker wrote:
  > So how did this go? >
  > > --cade
  > > On Linux vs Windows
  > ================== >
  Remember, amateurs built the Ark, Professionals built the Titanic!
  size=2>> On 15 Apr 2002, Jeff Rose wrote: >
  > > My professor says it's ok if my friends sit
  in on this thing so > > friends... anyone
  wishing to witness this, bring your wooden stakes <FONT
  size=2>and > > garlic.  I'll be the guy in
  the Linux t-shirt. > > <FONT
  size=2>> > > > <FONT
  size=2>> > > > --- <FONT
  size=2>> > This message has been sent through the ALE general discussion
  list. > > See <A target=_blank
  href="http://www.ale.org/mailing-lists.shtml">http://www.ale.org/mailing-lists.shtml
  for more info. Problems should be <FONT
  size=2>> > sent to listmaster at ale dot org. <FONT
  size=2>> > > > <FONT
  size=2>>
  --- This message has been sent through
  the ALE general discussion list. See <A target=_blank
  href="http://www.ale.org/mailing-lists.shtml">http://www.ale.org/mailing-lists.shtml
  for more info. Problems should be sent to listmaster
  at ale dot org.