[ale] Need an "X" fix.

Jim Lynch jwl at sgi.com
Wed Apr 17 15:19:49 EDT 2002

I've pulled most of my hair out trying to figure this one out but I'm
stumped.  Perhaps someone here can help.

This is the output from a Linux system I'm trying to run Xvfb on to
provide a dummy X session.

<chinaberry 154> ./start.sh
+ export DISPLAY=chinaberry.peachtree.sgi.com:5
+ Xvfb :5
+ DISPLAY=chinaberry.peachtree.sgi.com:5
+ xhost +
access control disabled, clients can connect from any host
+ xauth generate chinaberry.peachtree.sgi.com:5 .
xauth:  creating new authority file /home/jwl/.Xauthority
+ xauth extract - chinaberry.peachtree.sgi.com:5
+ rsh -l guest almost.csd.sgi.com /usr/bin/X11/xauth merge -
/usr/bin/X11/xauth:  creating new authority file
/usr/people/guest/.Xauthority
<chinaberry 155> xauth list
chinaberry.peachtree.sgi.com:5  MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1
1668367a2c5c1f194b77413947551b77

Start.sh, as you can see, cranks up Xvfb on display 5.  I also attempted
to open up the access via the xhost command.  It says it works, but it
lies.

almost 55% xauth list
chinaberry.peachtree.sgi.com:5  MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1
1668367a2c5c1f194b77413947551b77
almost 57% setenv DISPLAY chinaberry.peachtree.sgi.com:5
almost 58% echo $DISPLAY
chinaberry.peachtree.sgi.com:5
almost 59% xterm
Xlib: connection to "chinaberry.peachtree.sgi.com:5.0" refused by server
Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
Error: Can't open display: chinaberry.peachtree.sgi.com:5

I did the same exercise without the .Xauthority files in place.  With
out all the details I get:

almost 61% xterm
Xlib: connection to "chinaberry.peachtree.sgi.com:5.0" refused by server
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
Error: Can't open display: chinaberry.peachtree.sgi.com:5

even though xhost + said "access control disabled, clients can connect
from any host".

almost.csd is an Irix system.  I've tried the same tests between two
Linux systems with the same results.  Chinaberry is running a Debian
dist. kernel 2.2.19.  The other Linux box was a Red Hat installation.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks,
Jim.