[ale] 'Vintage' Macintosh

Joe Jansen joejansen at vei.net
Tue Apr 16 11:49:36 EDT 2002

Hey all!

I recently moved to Anderson SC from Milwaukee WI, and finally came across
your LUG!  I am glad to have found someone, since Anderson seems devoid of
any group activity...

I have 2 old^H^H^HVintage Mac's:  A Mac IIci and a Mac IIvx.  The ci has a
bad floppy, but I can prob salvage the one from the vx.  The vx has a caddy
style 2x cdrom.

Is anyone familiar with the m68k setup?  I have done a PPC setup on a
PowerMAC before, and it required having a Mac OS cd to bless the new drive.
I have no such CD in this case.  Am I 'up the river'?

The machines are running OS 7.  I would really like to salvage the hdd from
the ci and drop it into the vx.  Can I do this?  I am _SO_ non-clueful when
it comes to mac stuff.  I have done some work with x86 architecture with
Linux.

The vx has an ethernet card, and a add-on video card.  20MB RAM, cd, floppy,
and 250MB hdd.  The ci has a 250MB hdd.  I have an old 12" b&w monitor,
mouse, and 3rd party kb.  The machines do both boot!  <gasp>

the m68k website states that the hardware is both supported.  Does anyone
have any experience working with this stuff?  Maybe point me to some good
doc's, or drop me a line with some pointers?  This is pretty much just
something to mess around with.  I want to teach my kids some programming
(probably python), and would use one of the macs as either a second machine
or possibly just a terminal from my main linux box.

Any ideas or suggestions are extremely welcome.  Hope to meet some of you at
an upcoming gathering!

Thanks!

--Joe Jansen