[ale] Uh-oh. too many processes at boot

David Corbin dcorbin at imperitek.com
Fri Apr 12 08:01:09 EDT 2002

I have debian system.  I upgrade to the debian test (at the time, I
thought I need and more recent ssh).  I had my system lock up.  During
reboot, it took a lot of effort to successfully get through the FSCK.
But, I have.

Now, when I boot to runlevel 2 (the default), I end-up with "INIT: too
many processes for this run level".  But, if I boot to run-level 1, and
then manually run the various S scripts in /etc/rc2.d, I don't have a
problem.

1) I don't know if I've got an upgrade problem, or a loss do to "hard
shutdown".  Ideas?
2) How do I figure out what's doing all the spawning?

Thanks.
David