[ale] mac v pc

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Wed Apr 10 10:11:42 EDT 2002

On Wed, 10 Apr 2002, D. Alan Stewart wrote:

> The Intel machine doesn't have Ethernet or Firewire built-in, the Macs does.
> One thing I've learned in 16+ years of using Intel machines is that
> compatability is a real issue, and having to add additional boards to a
> system raises the risks of incompatability. This is an area where Apple has
> done better than anyone else.

Apple hasn't done any better -- they've just refused to allow anyone else to
even enter the market in any meaningful way.  All closed systems (IBM
mainframes, for example) are the same....  Intel may have compatibility
problems, but that's the price you pay for the advantage of being able to
choose between multiple vendors.

later,
chris