[ale] Topic at Next Meeting?

Charles Shapiro charles.shapiro at nubridges.com
Tue Apr 9 07:51:51 EDT 2002

Be sure to get the 1.0 version of Evolution. I had no luck with the 0.99
version. Do not install the Ximian desktop -- it munged my gnome
configuration completely. The fonts I liked stopped working and my
desktop got all wonky. Like most software designed to make life easier
for newbies, Ximian Desktop is poison if you already have your X
environment set up the way you like it.

I wound up installing Evolution from the command line. To do this,
it's easiest to grit your teeth and buy the Ximian CD. I bought the
RedHat 7.1 CD, but Evolution seems to work fine on my 7.2 box. The RPMs
you need to upgrade/install on a Redhat 7.2 box are (in rough order):

libbonobo-conf0-0.14-ximian.1.i386.rpm
bonobo-conf-0.14-ximian.1.i386.rpm
bonobo-1.0.14-ximian.1.i386.rpm
libnss3-0.9.5-ximian.1.i386.rpm
libxml-1.8.15-ximian.2.i386.rpm
gnome-pilot-0.1.63-ximian.2.i386.rpm
libgtkhtml20-1.0.0-ximian.1.i386.rpm
gtkhtml-1.0.0-ximian.1.i386.rpm
libgal18-0.18.1-ximian.1.i386.rpm
gal-0.18.1-ximian.1.i386.rpm
oaf-0.6.7-ximian.2.i386.rpm
pilot-link-0.9.5-ximian.2.i386.rpm

You'll find these in "ximian-desktop/redhat-71-i386" on the Ximian
CDROM. After you install these RPMs, you should be able to install
"evolution-1.0-ximian.3.i386.rpm" and see no failed dependencies or
other errors.

I installed 7.2 with a full-pack development environment, so I got some
random kvetching about development library dependencies which I chose to
ignore.  If you're seriously into developing with X you may want to add
the *-devel* packages to this list.  I installed most of these packages
with "rpm -U", because they're already on the 7.2 distribution but the
shipped versions are too old to support Evolution.

-- CHS
(still jazzed not to have to type on Lose EVER AGAIN)