[ale] flops?

Glenn C. Lasher Jr. glasher at nycap.rr.com
Sun Apr 7 09:12:41 EDT 2002

On Sat, 6 Apr 2002, Stephen Turner wrote:

> flops
>
> Floating-point operations per second.
>

> thats great :) gotta love dictionary.com, anyways,
> floating point operations? exactly what is that?

In a modern, Intel-centric context, that would be FDIV, FMULT, FADD, FSUB
and maybe FPUSH and FPOP, but probably not.  It's been a long time since
I've done assembly language, so I may not have exactly the right names for
these operators, but you get the idea.  In an older, still Intel-centric
context, that would be the math-coprocessor-emulation counterparts to
these instructions.  In a non-intel context, it would be accomplishing
these operations using whatever tool is available.

Natually, a '386 computer with a math coprocessor gets a higher number of
flops than one without.  Similary, a '486DX gets more flops than a '486SX
at the same clock speed.

glasher at nycap.rr.com
You've been programmed by the Illuminati not to see the word "".