[ale] Q: How to install ttf fonts in Linux

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Fri Apr 5 10:07:48 EST 2002

On 5 Apr 2002, Danny Cox wrote:

> Chris,
>
> On Fri, 2002-04-05 at 09:00, Chris Woodruff wrote:
> > I grabbed a bunch of new truetype fonts (*.ttf) and placed them in the
> > /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF.  I retarted X and then brought up gimp and
> > found that none of the new fonts are seen by gimp.
> >
> > I am using Mandrake 8.2.  Any help in getting X to see the new fonts would
> > be helpful.
>
> 	Are you using xfs (X Font Server)?  Since Mandrake is RH based, I'll
> bet you are.  Search Freshmeat for "xfstt", a replacement for xfs
> that'll handle True Type fonts.

I don't do Mandrake, but the xfs shipped by RH handles True Type already.
You don't need xfstt any more (and in fact, it's buggier than xfs).

If Mandrake handles fonts like Red Hat, stopping and starting xfs will fix
the problem.  After new fonts are installed, the indexes xfs uses need to be
updated.  For True Types, you first run ttmkfdir and then mkfontdir (though
at least the Red Hat xfs init script will automatically do it if necessary).

later,
chris