[ale] OT: Has your spam increased?

David S. Jackson deepbsd at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 4 08:49:37 EST 2002

On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 11:17:47AM -0600 Michael Phillips <mike at walnut.coosavalley.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 11:06:27AM -0500, John C wrote:
>
> Currently, spamcop seems to be doing the best for us....it's
> stopping 50-75 attempts per day (averaged over the last
> week)....

I just love spams that say, "You've been sent this email because
you elected to receive more information about our products from
one of our sponsors..." or some such drivel.

Even if that were somehow true, the only way they could prove it
is if they showed you a website you hit that snarfed your email
from your Netscape environment and in fine print on their
website, it said something like, "if you don't want to receive
any emails from us, mail 14 emails to the following address and
call these six telephone numbers, and write a snail mail to these
4 people requesting to be omitted from our mailings..."

These people have a distorted sense of honesty, to put it mildly.

David S. Jackson                        dsj at dsj.net