[ale] linux's flavor of remote validation?

Ken Kennedy kkennedy at kenzoid.com
Thu Apr 4 00:17:29 EST 2002

On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 11:05:29PM -0500, Mark Hurley wrote:
> Have a network...computers all tethered together.  A samba box
> operating as a PDC to the windows machines.  Everything is lovely,
> right? wrong...
>
> I just added a second linux box.  BUT....I want to log on and off
> authenticating from the main "linux" (PDC) box.  In fact...I want to
> "share" or in fact use my original home directory on the first (main)
> linux box.

> 1) nfs ???
> 2) LDAP
> 3) ???

The best descriptions of using LDAP for user acct management that I've
seen are a LJ article from sometime last year (I think I gave you a
copy of it), and this section of the LDAP-Implementation HOWTO:

http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/LDAP-Implementation-HOWTO/pamnss.html

Seems RELATIVELY straightforward, at least for the authentication
part. For the /home sharing, I'm guessing that you'll have to let LDAP
manage the authorization for either NFS or Samba. There seems to be
something else in the back of my head ... Intermezzo, maybe ... does
something similar. IIRC, it doesn't share the dirs exactly, but it
syncs them when you connect/reconnect. Kinda like CVS'd filesystems on
steroids. Uh...ah. Yep:

    All InterMezzo aims to do is the following:

        * Keep a file set (a.ka. folder collection or volume) in sync
          on a number of replicators, one of which is the server the
          others are clients.
        * Sync up a new client with the server.
        * If any replicator makes modifications, journal these and
          forward to all other replicators.
        * Depending on configuration file data is fetched immediately
          with metadata synchronization or later on demand. Caches can
          be full replicas or can be polulated with sparse files.
        * If conflicts are encountered during synchronization, move
          them aside.
	* Manage branches and snapshots of the file system

You could look at that too, I suppose. http://www.inter-mezzo.org/

> <some_humor>
> BTW....if you see Ken (on the list, meeting or kenzoid.com)...pat him
> on the back....he took $20 off of me in a bet I threw down, by putting
> down copious quantities of the hottest darn sauce today (at the new
> Hooters).  Find out more about the sauce at hothothot.com
> (no, not porn)  ;)
> </some_humor>

Just get more people to bet me. I can use the money, and the stomach
aches aren't TOO bad...*grin*. Ask me again tomorrow.

Ken Kennedy	| http://www.kenzoid.com	| kenzoid at io.com

 PGP signature