[ale] inventing the future: university vs corp

Bao C. Ha baoha at sensoria.com
Wed Apr 3 15:27:05 EST 2002

Hi Geoffrey,

I just have a knee-jerked reaction to Chris' statement.

> > And who perfected it?  Certainly not AT&T/Bell Labs?
>
> Cheap shot.  So you discount that which Bell Labs did for UNIX?

I don't discount Bell Labs of funding the development of Unix.
Unix has been successful because of the cooperation between
academia and corporations in the early days.  I still hold the
view that Unix is so popular and successful now because of
Berkeley's involvment, which has also been the driver of the
open-source movement.  And I am a System V person, not BSD!

If AT&T had their choice, Unix would have been destroyed in middle
of the '80.  Their commercialization of Unix had been a total
disaster due to corporate greeds.  It is still mind-boggling how
such a premier corporate research institution like Bell Labs ended
up to be Lucent.  IBM's Thomas J. Watson research center is still
pumping out advances despite all of the ups and downs.

Bao