[ale] gcc

Bao C. Ha baoha at sensoria.com
Wed Apr 3 12:22:10 EST 2002

Hi Danny,

> 	I don't know about this specific example, but gcc has
> plenty of smarts
> in optimizing code.  Common sub-expressions, loop-invariants,
> and simple
> things like multiplying/dividing by a constant power of 2 are
> all taken
> care of.

Gcc is very advanced.  As you have mentioned, it will use the
compiler optimization techniques that unravel and reorder the
codes for better performance.  The only issue is the the
bloated code size.

The processor technology has moved more toward RISC.  I don't
know how many people can actually do proper assembler with the
Pentium and above architecture.  A compiler has plenty of
know-hows to optimize and to reorder the code sequences to keep
the pipelines fill all of the time.

I think it is a myth that assembler language is faster.  But
in my retarded mind, C is basically just a machine-non-specific
assembler language.

Bao