[ale] inventing the future: university vs corp

Jim Philips jcphil at mindspring.com
Wed Apr 3 11:09:44 EST 2002

I don't know that I would say it's all one or the other. But
universities are certainly freer to conduct research without being under
the gun to prduce a profit. I was at Ohio State in the 80's and a lot of
technology that was being researched there at the time is now
mainstream. I know specifically that pioneering work in fiber optics and
computer animation were being done. Ohio State was also the first place
I saw a CD being used for data storage instead of music. The nationwide
library catloging system, OCLC, was also a spinoff of work begun at Ohio
State. I'm just citing examples from the school I know, but there are
hundreds of examples like these from around the country. Imagine how
many you could cite from MIT, Georgia Tech and Stanford! Corporations
tend to install the tried and true and, with a few exceptions, aren't
spending on research the way they once did. To learn the stable and
mainstream, look to corporate America. To work with pioneering
technologies, look to the universities.