Journaling File Systems and RAID (was RE: [ale] ext3)

D. Alan Stewart astewart at layton-graphics.com
Thu Sep 20 08:19:10 EDT 2001

> I thought the journaling file system gave you a more stable file system in
> the event of a "glitch".  We will probably will move from an HP web server
> to RED HAT.  I was going to suggest Reiser as the file system.  The disk
> array will be around 40 gigs.  Are you guys telling me, what is driving
> journaling file systems is the FSCK annoyance?

It was for us. We used to have a 40GB ext2 RAID5 volume that took several
hours to get through fsck after an abend. Abends didn't happen very ofter,
cost in lost productivity was large. (Though part of the reason fsck took so
long was probably the old hardware - ancient full height 9GB drives on a
5MB/s SCSI chain.) We now use ReiserFS on all our large volumes and
recovery from an abend is a matter of minutes.

D. Alan Stewart
Layton Graphics, Inc.
155 Woolco Dr.
Marietta, GA 30062
Voice: 770/973-4312
Fax: 800/367-8192
FTP: ftp.layton-graphics.com
WWW: www.layton-graphics.com

"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they
are not certain; and as far as they are certain, they do
not refer to reality." - Albert Einstein