Journaling File Systems and RAID (was RE: [ale] ext3)

Charles Marcus CharlesM at Media-Brokers.com
Wed Sep 19 15:59:40 EDT 2001

Hi Vernard,

I was toying with the idea of switching to XFS, mainly for the ACL support.
How well is the ACL support working as we speak (be honest, now ;)  ?

Charles

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-ale at ale.org [mailto:owner-ale at ale.org]On Behalf Of Vernard
To: ale at ale.org
Martin
Sent: Wednesday, September 19, 2001 2:40 PM
To: Davis, Ricardo C.
Cc: 'Stuffed Crust'; 'ale at ale.org'
Subject: RE: Journaling File Systems and RAID (was RE: [ale] ext3)

On Wed, 2001-09-19 at 14:41, Davis, Ricardo C. wrote:
> I see now ... since I haven't had the opportunity to work with systems
that
> *needed* 300 GB filesystems I had no idea that a fsck would take that
long.

> In my cursory research yesterday it appeared that ext3 wasn't at version
1.0
> yet...although I may have been looking at an old page.  Are there any
other
> options for journaling file systems that are a bit more mature than ext3?

Well, ext3 is pretty mature. If nothing else, its very easy to upgrade
from ext2 to ext3. Its as simple as creating a blank file and remounting
(file is the journal file). This is exactly what RedHat plans to do with
their next release of their distro.

Other options are:

XFS - SGI's foray into the journaling filesystem arena. Very well done
with lots of active development. But I'm biased as my group at work is
heavily involved in the development of this stuff.

ReiserFS - Another very good jfs that is being distributed with SuSE
distros as an option when installing. Seems to have a good following and
have relatively good benchmark numbers.

JFS - IBM's Journaling Filesystem. One of the oldest JFS around but only
recently ported to linux. The Linux port is perhaps the least mature of
all the journaling filesystems avialable for linux.

just more info