Journaling File Systems and RAID (was RE: [ale] ext3)

Stuffed Crust pizza at shaftnet.org
Wed Sep 19 12:40:17 EDT 2001

On Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 10:21:47AM -0400, Davis, Ricardo C. wrote:
> I have storage question.  Why run a journaling file system with RAID 5?
> Isn't this overkill?  What do you gain that you wouldn't with just a RAID 5
> configuration?

RAID is there to prevent against hardware failure killing our storage
systems.

A journalling filesystem is in use to keep fscks from taking three hours
on a 300G filesystem.

They're both there to solve different problems.

 - Pizza
--
Solomon Peachy                                    pizzaATfucktheusers.org
I ain't broke, but I'm badly bent.                           ICQ# 1318344