[ale] Kernel Upgrade

Fulton Green ale at FultonGreen.com
Tue Sep 18 17:38:42 EDT 2001

I posted this once, but it apparently didn't go through ...

Red Hat 7.2 beta 2 (Roswell refresh, circa August 18) ships with both GCC 3.0
and 2.96 (presumably for backwards "compatibility"). It also ships with
kernel 2.4.7. However, the Raw Hide directory just received an update with
2.4.9 packages.

I'm not 100% certain, but installing the GCC 3 packages (which can be
installed concurrently with the 2.96 packages) *may* require an upgrade to
GLibC, which is never pretty. If that winds up being the case, I'd say
upgrade to the Roswell beta, then download the new kernel from Raw Hide (and
whatever else it would need).

Consult ftp://www.RedHat.com/pub/redhat/linux/ for more details.