[ale] Kernel Upgrade

Michael Kachline kachline at compgen.com
Tue Sep 18 17:33:14 EDT 2001

On Wed, 19 Sep 2001, Calvin Harrigan wrote:

> Hello all,
>
>   I'm running Redhat Linux 7.1 with kernel 2.4.2.  I was wondering if
> any one has/know of a resource (web site) that explains how to go
> about updating the kernel to at least 2.4.8.  While on the same boat,
<snip>
	Calvin,

	I would suggest looking at both www.linuxdoc.org and
www.kernel.org. Pay particular attention to linuxdoc, as, it contains FAQs
and HOWTOs for doing damned near anything under Linux (You'll want to look
at "The Linux Kernel HOWTO"). Since you are in your "infancy" to compiling
and upgrading linux kernels, learn *now* how to apply patches (ie "patch
up") to your current kernel. It will save you worlds of time and headache
in the future over the alternative (downloading an entire new kernel
tarball with each release).

							- Mike