[ale] Linux on the iPaq

Stephen J. Pellicer spellicer at 8thlayer.net
Mon Sep 17 03:14:10 EDT 2001

This is a resend because I didn't see it come up on the list:

I met a gentleman at ALE tonight interested in Linux on the Compaq iPaq PDA.
I'm so bad with names I forgot his name already. E-Mail me and remind me.
Here are some links for Linux on iPaq related stuff:

General info for linux based PDA's:
http://www.handhelds.org

Familiar Linux Distro for iPaq:
http://familiar.handhelds.org/

Install guide for Familiar:
http://familiar.handhelds.org/familiar/releases/v0.4/install/H3600/install.h
tml

USB networking with the iPaq:
http://www.handhelds.org/z/wiki/How%20do%20I%20setup%20USB%20networking

QPE Qt/Embedded based PDA environment:
http://qpe.sourceforge.net

The last link may be particularly interesting to you as a Qt hacker. It's a
really, really nice environment for iPaq with some nice apps. I'm going to
be trying to roll my own Python/GTK+ environment real soon now. I'll keep
you updated if you're gonna be running Linux on your iPaq.

As a general note, I'd like to hear of any Atlanta area Linux'ers running
Linux on their iPaq. I've noticed a surprising lack of good PDA apps for
Linux. Talk about an itch that need scratching. Hopefully, I can put my
money where my mouth is and get some tools developed for it.

Stephen