[ale] newbie question:using a TV as a monitor

Calvin Harrigan charrig at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 16 22:12:00 EDT 2001

On Sunday 16 September 2001 09:59 pm, you wrote:
> Jason Vinson writes:
>  > i recently purchased and ATI all in wonder card and i want to use my
>  > television as a monitor (standard NTSC).  this works fine in text mode,
>  > but i can't get it configured to run x.  does anyone have experience
>  > doing this?
>
> I haven't tried to do that in a couple of years, but I don't think it
> was possible, then.  Of course, two years is a long time in Internet
> Time...
>
> There are a few chips that TV-out is supported on that I do know of if
> you are interested.
>
> --Michael

> body.

I've done this using nvidia based cards, namely the geforce2mx.  One problem
that you might look into is the resolution and refresh rate that X is setup
to use.  If the setttings are outside the range of the chipset to convert to
ntsc it just turns off the TV output.  From my limited expertise with an Asus
7100 (nvidia) and an older ATI PC2TV card, 800x600 seems to be the max they
will support.  The vertical refresh must not be more than 60 hertz.   60hHz
looks bad on a monitor but just fine on a tv.  Hopes this helps...

Calvin