[ale] Several questions for a newbie

Chris Fowler ChrisF at computone.com
Fri Sep 14 16:33:40 EDT 2001

believe the zip disk needs to be partioned then that partition needs to be
formated.  DOS or EXT2.
<SPAN
class=746001820-14092001>
<SPAN
class=746001820-14092001>

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: -=(TherMite)=-
  [mailto:thermite at mindspring.com]Sent: Wednesday, June 27, 2001
  11:49 PMTo: ale at ale.orgSubject: [ale] Several questions
  for a newbie
  Hey Everyone
      I just bought a new computer
  and I'm trying to configure RedHat Linux 7.0 on it

  I have:

  AMD Athlon 1.4 GHz
  ASUS A6 DDR Motherboard
  512 Meg DDR RAM
  Sound Blaster Live! Plantinum 5.1
  Pioneer DVD ROM
  Plextor 16/10/40x CD-RW
  250 Meg IDE ZIP Drive
  40 Gig 7200 RPM IDE HD
  LeadTek GeForce3 4x AGP 64 Meg RAM

  So far, I have linux up and running, but I ran
  into a few questions

  I can't get LILO to install in the MBR because I
  have Win2k  running. I'm having to boot from a boot disk, which is ok,
  but is there anyway besides removing Win2K, to get a dual boot loader ( I'm
  gonna try System Commander 2000 as soon as I find an old win95 boot
  disk)

  The second little problem is my Sound Blaster
  Live sounds really rough when sndconfig auto detects it. I downloaded the
  linux drivers off creativelabs.com but haven't tried them yet... because I
  can't get my Iomega 250 ZIP drive to mount in linux. Linux autodetected it and
  it has an entry in /etc/fstab but I keep getting the wrong fstype when I try
  to 'mount /dev/zip /mnt/zip'  I've used the -t option and tried fat,
  vfat, msdos, umsdos. Do I need to format my ZIP disk to ext2 or what exactly
  do I do?

  I have the linux driver for my geforce 3 card but
  once again I can't install the drivers until I get my ZIP drive
  working.

  Thanks everyone for the help and please respond
  soon.

  Thank You,
  Roman Dean
  thermite at mindspring.com