[ale] Odd X problem

Michael Kachline kachline at compgen.com
Thu Sep 13 17:04:38 EDT 2001

On Thu, 13 Sep 2001, Robert L. Harris wrote:

>   Just built out a box for my boss.  Debian sid, running gnome+sawfish.
> I ssh to 2 different boxes.  One I execute an X app and right click,
> nothing happens when it should.  On the second box I open an X app and
> right click works fine.
>
>   I went back to my workstation, also gnome+sawfix, ssh to the first box
> and start the same app,  right click works just fine.
>
>   So on my boss's box I can't right click in one app, I can another.  I
> can right click in the same app on a different box though.
>
>   gpm is not installed or running.
>
> Any thoughts?
<snip>

	Hmm,
	My stab at it...

* Does the problem replicate if you use a method other than ssh to execute
the application on the problem machine?

* If your boss ssh's to the problem machine from your machine (logging in
as himself to the problem machine), does the problem replicate?

* Does ssh -v offer any insight?

* Does this problem replicate when your boss' machine is running some
desktop other than gnome / sawfish?

* Does this right click problem affect all applications from the problem
machine for your boss, or just this particular application? If you run
"xev" on the problem machine from your boss' machine and then right click
in the "xev" window, do you see a "ButtonPress event... button 3" event?

						- Mike