[ale] PCI Modem

Michael Kachline kachline at compgen.com
Tue Sep 11 07:18:59 EDT 2001

On Tue, 11 Sep 2001, Chris Fowler wrote:

> I purchased an inexpensive PCI modem on clearance from CompUsa last night.
> I'm not totally sure it was a WinModem but it could be.  It is a no name
> brand that was orignally $50.  Kudzu under RH7.1 can not find this modem so
> I must use setserial to detect it.  can someone tell me how to go about
> doing this?
<snip>
	What does `cat /proc/pci` tell you about the modem?

I have the following in my /etc/rc.d/rc.local:

echo "Setting up PCI Modem..."
setserial /dev/ttyS1 irq 3 port 0xfff0 uart 16650 spd_vhi

Note that the values for "port" and "irq", you will also get from
/proc/pci. This is what I see (I've got a USR "real" 56k PCI modem)...

  Bus  0, device  13, function  0:
    Serial controller: US Robotics/3Com 56K FaxModem Model 5610 (rev 1).
      IRQ 3.
      I/O at 0xfff0 [0xfff7].

BTW, I'm using setserial 2.15 / kernel 2.4.9.

						- Mike
 Michael Kachline
 Systems Programmer

 Web: http://www.intec-telecom-systems.com