[ale] How do I disable some VT

pwd at mdtsoft.com pwd at mdtsoft.com
Tue Sep 11 07:04:10 EDT 2001

Almost, this did work for outside of X but not inside,
X still stops and it is inside X that I need to shut down
the console.

On 10 Sep, Joe Steele wrote:

>> Edit/remove entry(ies) for tty's from your /etc/inittab.
>>

> I don't think this solution will have the intended effect.  This only
> prevents you from logging in on a VC;  it doesn't prevent you from
> switching to it with CTL-ALT-Fx.
>
> Instead, I think there are a couple things you may need to do,
> depending on needs:
>
> 1) Use dumpkeys to create a file with your existing console keymap,
> then edit it, deleting lines that contain "Console_xx", similar to
> the following for console 7:
>
>         alt     keycode  65 = Console_7
>         control alt     keycode  65 = Console_7
>
> When done, load the new keymap file with loadkeys (this should
> probably be done in some script that runs on boot-up).  This disables
> the default CTL-ALT-Fx behavior when typed at a standard virtual
> console (outside of X).  (If you are not having problems with the
> ALT-Fx sequence, the you should probably leave the first line alone,
> and only delete the second line.)
>
> 2)  Modify your XF86Config file by adding "VTSysReq" to the Keyboard
> section.  This should prevent X from catching the standard CTL-ALT-Fx
> keys.  Instead, you would now type ALT-SysRq Fx to switch to another
> VC.
>
> You can, of course, elect to perform only one of these two steps,
> depending on whether you need to disable the key sequence outside or
> inside of X.
>
> --Joe
>

>>On Sat, 8 Sep 2001 pwd at mdtsoft.com wrote:
>>> Subject: [ale] How do I disable some VT
>>>
>>> Something has come up that I have not run into before. I need to turn off
>>> the CTL-ALT-Fxx for xx > say 6 (F12 is the important one) I only use virtual
>>> consoles ones every blue moon and I need to run an application (R Admin under
>>> a VMware NT system) that need (or at least it would be best) to use CLT-ALT-F12
>>> as I don't even have a getty on that "port" it would be nice to turn this off
>>> but I don't know how.

It is MDT, Inc's policy to delete mail containing unsolicited file attachments.
Please be sure to contact the MDT staff member BEFORE sending an e-mail with
any file attachments; they will be able to arrange for the files to be received.

This email, and any files transmitted with it, is confidential and intended
If you have received this email in error, please advise postmaster at mdtsoft.com
<mailto:postmaster at mdtsoft.com>.

Philip W. Dalrymple III <pwd at mdtsoft.com>
MDT Software - The Change Management Company
+1 678 297 1001
Fax +1 678 297 1003