[ale] Resolving

Joseph Andrew Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 10 08:42:17 EDT 2001

Paul Kinsley wrote:

> You need to use ping -n to prevent ping from performing name resoluton.
> Pinging by IP address still involves a lookup.  I dont know why, but
> have seen it happen.

Erm... strange. The man page for "ping" says:

     -n      Numeric output only.  No attempt will be made to lookup
symbolic
             names for host addresses.

I've never seen ping report symbolic names in its output.
And it always does lookups when you use a symbolic hostname,
even if -n is specified. So I don't understand why you'd
ever need -n. In any case, on my machine (Slack 7.1),
pinging an IP address does not seem to involve a lookup.

Cheers,

--
# Joe Knapka
# "You know how many remote castles there are along the