[ale] Resolving

Joseph Andrew Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 10 08:21:01 EDT 2001

Jason Lynn wrote:

> Thanks!  As for nsswitch.conf... I'll need to check that when I get home.  I
> do not wait for dns to timeout... after about 20 sec my patience grows thin.
>   :)  I will read that man page.  I know that I was definitely unable to
> ping (within 20 sec) my local interface eth0 with an ip of 192.168.0.1.  I
> thought it was strange also, but I suppose I could have my nsswitch
> misconfigured.  I'll try and wait for the timeout.

If you ping by IP address (eg "ping 192.168.0.1") then no
variety of name resolution is involved. If you can't ping
local interfaces by IP, you have non-DNS-related problems
(eg, driver not available, interface not properly configured,
or something of that nature). What does "ifconfig eth0"
say?

Cheers,

--
# Joe Knapka
# "You know how many remote castles there are along the