[ale] OT: Help on digital Camera

Jeff Hubbs jhubbs at telocity.com
Mon Sep 10 09:32:08 EDT 2001

> Chris Fowler wrote:
>
> Help,
>
> I need to purchase a digital camera and I'm having a difficult
> time deciding on the features.  Can someone tell me here
> if it is worth $100 extra dollars to get 3x optical zoom versus
> standard 2x digital zoom.  How can I convert 2.2 megapixels into
> DPI so I'll know what print output should be.  The camera I'm
> looking at is 1800x1200 resolution.

Chris -

The "2x digital zoom" probably means no optical zoom at all, doing
everything in software - i.e., interpolating in between full resolution
and what is essentially 900x600 resolution.  Much cheaper optically,
naturally - but you pay in picture quality.  Interpolation always brings
"fuzz."

As for your second question, take the 1800 pixels, divide by the longest
dimension of the printed picture in inches, and there's your DPI.  1800
pixels / 10" (letter paper?) = 180 dpi.

This is a nit, but "number of pixels wide/tall" isn't "resolution" -
your resolution will be half that, as per Mr. Nyquist.

- Jeff