[ale] Raid 5 on a Redhat 7.1 box - production worthy?

Keith Hopkins hne at inetnow.net
Fri Sep 7 13:11:30 EDT 2001

Hi Gary,

   It depends.  :-)  Make sure the raid card you are using has mgmt
tools for linux.  I'm was using an Adaptec AAA-133 on a Novell box, but
dropped it in preference to an AMI 1300 card because there was online
tools for the AMI card (and the AMI card was dirt cheap).  I had to boot
to the BIOS tool, or DOS tools for the Adaptec card under linux (sic).

   Linux will see a single drive, just like Novell or NT when you use HW
raid.  Linux also give you the option of software raid using the md
(multiple device) driver, but what you save in HW costs, you pay for
with lost performance.

   Most of the IDE RAID cards (3ware's being the only exception I know
of) don't work properly under linux, because they are not true HW raid,
but usually a HW/SW hybrid raid solution.

Lost in Taipei,
   Keith