[ale] scsi error message??

djinn at djinnspace.com djinn at djinnspace.com
Wed Sep 5 09:35:08 EDT 2001

I'm not too familiar with SCSI, and I keep getting this error message in
my logs (starting yesterday):

Sep  5 00:05:20 acheron kernel: scsi0: ERROR on channel 0, id 1, lun 0,
CDB: Read (10) 00 01 b0 a3 a8 00
00 08 00
Sep  5 00:05:20 acheron kernel: Info fld=0x1b0a3ac, Current sd08:04:
sense key Medium Error
Sep  5 00:05:20 acheron kernel: Additional sense indicates Unrecovered
read error
Sep  5 00:05:20 acheron kernel:  I/O error: dev 08:04, sector 17043688

Please someone tell me what to do about this??  modules.conf lists
scsi_hostadapter aic7xxx, I'm running kernel 2.4.7  and it's a VA Linux
box (of course, even if trying to find out how to get support from them
*weren't* confusing, I doubt they'd support my problem b/c I removed
their distro and put redhat on).   I've got an *identical* VA Linux box
that is not having these problems...same setup, same everything...
There are two hot-swap drives and a cdrom in these machines, and I don't
know the first thing about SCSI.

The last time this came up was about a month ago, before I put them into
production, and I rebooted.  That is no longer a good option.  Please
help??