[ale] configuring a switch via a serial port

John Wells jbwellsiv at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 2 11:58:06 EDT 2001

I'm trying to configure a Nortel Networks 450-24T
switch I acquired recently.  The only way to connect
is through a DB-9 serial connection.  I have the
cable, but am inexperienced in setting up serial
communications.  I've used setserial before to
configure a modem, but that's about it.  The only
specs the switch docs give are:
- 9600 baud
- No parity
- 8 bits
- 1 stop bit
- Window Terminal Emulator option set to NO
- Terminal preferences: Function, Arrow and Control
keys active
- Buffer size set to 24

Can anyone provide the steps I need to take to
connect?  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

John