[ale] Recommended way to transfer music from reel-to-reel toCDs ?

Glenn C. Lasher Jr. glasher at nycap.rr.com
Sun Sep 2 08:51:20 EDT 2001

On Sat, 1 Sep 2001, Courtney Thomas wrote:

> Greetings !
>
> If anyone has satisfactory experience of transferring music from their
> reel to reel machine to CDs I'd appreciate benefiting from your travail.

I haven't done this from reel-to-reel, but I have done it from vinyl.
Here are my thoughts:

1.  Have a GOOD sound card.  SB16 doesn't cut it, SB Live! does.

2.  I am  using a program called gramofile, which offers some
noise-reduction filters (which can be switched off) and also has the
ability to take a long .wav file and break it up into individual songs by
looking for a pause in the music.  The parameters for looking for the
pause are adjustable.

3.  Although gramofile has a recording capability, I have never used it
and can't vouch for its eficacy.  I use ecasound for all of my recording
needs.  It is command-line driven, but can be started and stopped at any
time.

glasher at nycap.rr.com
After 163 days, Verizon still couln't deliver Telocity DSL.