[ale] Recommended way to transfer music from reel-to-reel to CDs ?

Jeff Hubbs jhubbs at telocity.com
Sat Sep 1 15:41:01 EDT 2001

Courtney -

I've done quite a bit of this over the past few years.  Unfortunately, I
don't know a good way to do it involving Linux, at least as far as the
audio management goes.

I use a Windows app called Cool Edit from www.syntrillium.com.  I dunno
about now, but you used to be able to download crippleware that was
usable enough to do the job.  Every once in a while I bug them about a
Linux version and they ignore me.  One of Cool Edit's best features is
its noise reduction, which you "train" by giving it a sample of just
noise, be it tape hiss or other ambient noise.

THe filtering is real nice too, such that you can nail hums, etc.
without appreciably messing up anything else.  You can also create
brick-wall filters to get rid of low-end rumble that old tapes can pick
up.  I have worked a number of minor miracles on tapes up to 50 years
old this way.

- Jeff