[ale] "make bootstrap" errors.... trying to compile [egcs-1.1.2]

Joseph A Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 28 13:24:55 EST 2001

Courtney Thomas wrote:

> Greetings !
>
> Under Debian-2.4.9, when I.........
>
>         ;after configure is successful
>         make bootstrap
>
> I get...........
>
>         ~gcc/cccp.c:    In function timestamp
>                         4085:Warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
>
>                         In function special symbol:
>                         For lines : 4212,4213,4215,4216..
>                                 dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
>
>                         In function initialize_builtins:
>                         Pertaining to lines: 9836,9837,9843
>                                 dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
>
>         [cccp.o]:       Error 1
>         [bootstrap]     Error 2
>
> What's wrong and how is it repaired ?

This probably indicates a configuration problem somewhere.
Did ./configure complete successfully?

The warning about "pointer from integer"
is probably nothing
to worry about. The "incomplete type" errors almost
certainly indicate that the configure script had to
decide between a number of mutually-exclusive possibilities
for the layout of some data structure, and was unable
to either do so or provide a reasonable default
definition. There are a number of other possibilities,
but that's the one I've seen most often. Unfortunately,
I don't think we can help you any further without
some additional info such as:

- The exact command line you used to ./configure the
package.

- All the "make bootstrap" output.

- The text of the source files in question (which
we could get from the egcs distro, naturally).

Why such an old compiler, anyway? Just curious.

Cheers,

-- Joe
# "You know how many remote castles there are along the
#  gorges? You can't MOVE for remote castles!" - Lu Tze re. Uberwald
# (Obsolete as of 2.4.12) Linux MM docs:
http://home.earthlink.net/~jknapka/linux-mm/vmoutline.html