[ale] sndconfig question

Robert Heaven robertheaven at mediaone.net
Sun Oct 28 09:21:34 EST 2001

Recently installed Mandrake 8.1 and everything works fine except the
sound. I have an old isapnp sound card that has a Crystal CS4237B chip
on it.

The first time I ran sndconfig it failed on the first step saying it
couldn't find /dev/audio. I found a device called /dev/sound/audio so I
did a ln -s /dev/sound/audio /dev/audio and then sndconfig was able to
get through the first step and I could also play music CD's. (odd part
is my /dev/audio symlink disappears every time I reboot)

The second step of sndconfig tries to set up a midi player but it's
giving me an error on the "modprobe of opl3" saying "no such device" but
it won't say what device it's looking for. The odd part here is I can
manually do a "modprobe opl3" and I get no response of any kind, error
or otherwise, and it does nothing.

I looked at the docs on the Mandrake and Red Hat web site (and the man
page) trying to find some help with sndconfig but all the docs said was
"if sndconfig doesn't work, give up".

Anyone ever conquered this beast?