[ale] Apache question

Eric Z. Ayers eric.ayers at mindspring.com
Sat Oct 27 10:46:28 EDT 2001

Maybe a more focused search would help.

The Apache Web Server home page:

http://httpd.apache.org/

UserDir directive
Syntax: UserDir directory-filename
Default: UserDir public_html
Context: server config, virtual host
Module: mod_userdir
Compatibility: All forms except the UserDir public_html form are only
available in Apache 1.1 or above. Use of the enabled keyword, or
disabled with a list of usernames, is only available in Apache 1.3 and
above.

The UserDir directive sets the real directory in a user's home directory
to use when a request for a document for a user is received.
Directory-filename is one of the following:

     * The name of a directory or a pattern such as those shown below.
     * The keyword disabled. This turns off all username-to-directory
translations except those explicitly named with the enabled keyword (see
below).
     * The keyword disabled followed by a space-delimited list of
usernames. Usernames that appear in such a list will never have
directory translation performed, even if they appear in an enabled clause.
     * The keyword enabled followed by a space-delimited list of
usernames. These usernames will have directory translation performed
even if a global disable is in effect, but not if they also appear in a
disabled clause.

If neither the enabled nor the disabled keywords appear in the Userdir
directive, the argument is treated as a filename pattern, and is used to
turn the name into a directory specification. A request for
http://www.foo.com/~bob/one/two.html will be translated to:

UserDir public_html     -> ~bob/public_html/one/two.html
UserDir /usr/web        -> /usr/web/bob/one/two.html
UserDir /home/*/www     -> /home/bob/www/one/two.html

The following directives will send redirects to the client:

UserDir http://www.foo.com/users ->
http://www.foo.com/users/bob/one/two.html
UserDir http://www.foo.com/*/usr -> http://www.foo.com/bob/usr/one/two.html
UserDir http://www.foo.com/~*/   -> http://www.foo.com/~bob/one/two.html

Be careful when using this directive; for instance, "UserDir ./" would
map "/~root" to "/" - which is probably undesirable. If you are running
Apache 1.3 or above, it is strongly recommended that your configuration
include a "UserDir disabled root" declaration. See also the <Directory>
directive and the Security Tips page for more information.