[ale] Any GRUB experts out there?

Mark Hurley debian4tux at telocity.com
Wed Oct 24 20:56:20 EDT 2001

I enjoyed the opportunity to install "Gentoo" while playing away from
the Debian foundation one bright morning.  And quickly had to come up
to speed on GRUB.  I agree with you (I think ;-)), it is superior to
lilo.

Not sure what you have and have not tried.  But one NICE feature of
GRUB is the auto-complete via [TAB].

type 'grub' to run it after you've set it up.

Your first task will be to install a boot record.

you can use something similar to

        root (hd0,0)            // (don't forget about [tab]
        setup (hd0)

Of course if you want a full blown example or tutorial on it, check
out...

I made a /boot/grub/menu.lst file, which supported many OS's on the
pc, sample:

default 0
timeout 30

title=My example Gentoo Linux
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/bzImage root=/dev/hda3

title=Windows NT Workstation
root (hd0,5)
chainloader +1

(Ok so I copied and pasted  ;)  )

One last thing....when you first boot up your PC, you can opt not to
use the MENU...and select command (run command..???) I can't remember
the exact syntax.

But it will let you "navigate" (if you will) without a menu option and
pull up any partition (or OS).

Have fun!

Mark Hurley