[ale] Programming Question - Where to Start

Charles Marcus CharlesM at Media-Brokers.com
Wed Oct 24 10:48:14 EDT 2001

OK,

Thanks everyone -

A lot of great suggestions and feedback - and in less than 30 minutes, too -
way kewl!

I like the idea of getting a good foundation in the fundamentals, so believe
I will take Stephens advice and get the intro book, as well as the Perl
books mentioned.

I am not necessarily married to the idea of learning Perl, but my goal is to
become a competent Linux SysAdmin in all respects (I decided to take this
course instead of the MCSE road last year).  I have come to understand that
in order to do this, I will have to learn some programming, and I have
gotten the impression that Perl is the best language to learn to support
this desire (I know this is, to an extent, a bit subjective, but isn't Perl
used everywhere with Linux?).  I am not opposed to learning Python first if
it will help me learn Perl later, but I don't wanna get sidetracked.

Basically, I want to concentrate on the language that will let me get the
most done with the least amount of work in support of my above-stated goal.
I don't mind doing the work, but I just want to make the most of my somewhat
limited time.

Thanks again to everyone who responded.

Charles