[ale] Programming Question - Where to Start

Fletch fletch at phydeaux.org
Wed Oct 24 10:35:27 EDT 2001

[...]

    Byron> Take a look at Python. It's simple, straightforward, and
    Byron> highly structured.  It's a good first language. And a
    Byron> powerful everyday language.

        And then once you've gotten tired of Python and its arbitrary
stylistic straight-jackets you can switch to Perl . . .
</Flamebait> :)

        Seriously though, if you don't have a strong programming
background you may find Perl harder to get started in.  Go to a
bookstore and leaf through a copy of _Learning Perl_ from ORA or
_Beginning Perl_ from Wrox and see if either of those grabs your
fancy.  I have no idea about python books; I've only read the tutorial
and reference that are available from python.org and found them
sufficient (but then again I wasn't coming at them without any
programming experience).

        Both are going to be more or less equivalent in terms of
functionality (of course with Perl's Inline::Python module you can use
both languages in the same program so you don't have to choose :) and
you're almost getting into holy war territory just asking your
question.  Take a look at both languages and see which one `clicks'
for you.

        Meta-comment: This topic (`What language should I learn?')
seems to come up rather frequently.  Someone should cull through
past posts and maybe put together a synopsis for the wiki.

770 933-0600 x211(w)  |  scary questions." -- Jules                =(___)=