[ale] linux community need attitude adjustment?

Jonathan Rickman jonathan at xcorps.net
Sun Oct 21 22:14:03 EDT 2001

On Fri, 19 Oct 2001, Cade Thacker wrote:

> They don't need a leatherman, they need a freakin screwdriver. When
> OpenOffice(or whatever) is comparable to MS Office then I will then
> seriously consider switching them, but even then some of their law
> software is Windows specific! Will I replace their windows NT server
> with a linux box? maybe one day, but if it ain't broke, i ain't

The Star Office 6.0 beta seems to be every bit as good as MS Office. At
least I haven't run into any compatability issues or missing features yet.
I've been using it exclusively on my laptop (Slackware) and my desktop at
work (Win2k) since it came out with no problems whatsoever. I just set the
default "save-as" values to MS formats and go.

> Does anybody else think that the linux community in general has a bad
> attitude?

Yes. Arrogance. Specifically in the area of security lately. While it's
probably true that a Linux machine can be configured to be much more
resistant to attack than most other platforms, it's also true that it can
be horribly insecure in the wrong hands. Another area where we could all
use a reality check is in the desktop arena. It's gonna be a long time
before Linux replaces Windows on the desktop...if it ever does. That's a
cold hard reality that many among us just can't accept. Like it or not, MS
has the PC industry by the balls. Barring government intervention (which
is a pretty scary proposition) that's not likely to change in the next 5-7
years. Because of this cold hard reality, most people are going to be more
comfortable working within the Windows environment. That includes the
small business owners who are choosing Windows for their server platform.
To them, the server is an appliance. They need to be able to operate it
themselves. Linux is just to much for the layman to deal with, although
some task specific devices have made great strides in this area. Now I'm
not saying that they're any better off with Win2k. But they will think
they are...because they are in their "comfort zone" and feel like they're
in control.

It really is that simple. I really dont care how many flames the
"evangelists" fire at me over it, because I see the problem for what it is
and they try to turn the problem into what they want it to be.

Mousetrap analogy
=================
It does not matter that you've built a better mousetrap. Many have done it
before you. Cats are arguably the best mousetraps around, and they've been
here as long as the mice. But a cat needs food, water, shots, and
seemingly constant care. That plain old cartoon style mousetrap that
really doesn't work worth a damn statistically only needs a spoonfull of
peanut butter and a corner spot in the closet. Nevermind that the cat only
needs shots once a year, food and water once a week if you use those
auto-feeder things and the mousetrap might need to be "reloaded" and reset
three times a day.

It might not work perfectly. It might not even work 90% of the time. Mice
are using it as a feed trough all day long while you're at work (not
watching), but the last mouse that goes for the last bite might get caught
and you will see results when you get home. You will feel like you were
proactive and in control. Thus, the illusion that the mousetrap is really
effective when it's really not. Many cats will eat every part of the mouse
and leave no evidence that they even caught one.

--
Jonathan Rickman
X Corps Security