[ale] Oops!!!! rm -rf /etc/*

Scott Nolde scott at smnolde.com
Wed Oct 17 12:53:48 EDT 2001

Perhaps if you used a little rpm magic you could selectively extract the
necessary files from the rpm files.  First you'd have to search the rpm
file for a know file in /etc, then extract it out, back into place.

I rm'd my /boot directory, but was lucky enough to just mkfs.ext2 the
/boot partition and then rpm -Uvh the appropriate rpm file.

Good luck, I know it won't be easy.
- Scott

smacked into the keyboard previously by Michael Golden:

 >Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 21:08:56 -0700 (PDT)
 >From: Michael Golden <naugrimk at yahoo.com>
 >To: ale at ale.org
 >Subject: Re: [ale] Oops!!!! rm -rf /etc/*
 >
 >I'm running Mandrake 8.1 (sorta, some stuff is still
 >from 8.0). If someone could send me a copy of a tar of
 >/etc that would be most appreciated. I am trying to
 >recover some stuff, but I will never figure out all
 >that I am missing and that would be most helpful.
 >Thanks for the great idea!
 >
 >Michael

 >sent to listmaster at ale dot org.

Scott Nolde