[ale] Oops!!!! rm -rf /etc/*

Michael Golden naugrimk at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 17 00:03:02 EDT 2001

Yeah, I know about the howto for recovering files, but
IIRC, that only works for ext2. I am using reiserfs.
:-/ I'm going through a painstaking task of using the
rescue disk from Mandrake, chroot'ing, rpm -Va, and
then rpm -qf for each file it finds missing to at
least get a basic config in there. But I have one
problem. Can anyone running Mandrake 8.x send me a
copy of lilo.conf? No package seems to want to give me
one and I don't know how to do it by hand.

Thanks
Michael

P.S. For future use, how do I set /etc immutable and
what other implications would that cause?