[ale] The ALE TWiki server is on the air!

hirsch at zapmedia.com hirsch at zapmedia.com
Thu Oct 11 11:13:18 EDT 2001

jhubbs at telocity.com writes:
 > I first read of "Wiki servers" on Web sites about Extreme
 > Programming (www.extremeprogramming.org).  It's a very interesting way
 > for people to collaborate and yes, like Vernard said, Wikis handle
 > some kinds of discussion better than mailing lists or newsgroups can.

We've been using one here at ZapMedia for a couple years, now, for
almost all of our internal technical documentation.  They are really
handy, but there is a tendency for them to grow in a fairly
uncontrolled fashion.  Information can be very hard to find.

OTOH, one manager came in and made his team use MS Word for
everything.  Now instead of a disorganized wiki we have disorganized
directories full of doc files.  The only "improvement" is that he can
browse them with his file browser.  Disadvantages are lack of
hyperlinking and easy searchability--oh yeah--and the use of a
proprietary, binary format.

--
Michael D. Hirsch, Ph.D.

Phone: 678-420-2722                FAX: 678-420-5839
email: michael.hirsch at zapmedia.com Web: http://www.zapmedia.com