[ale] Linux and Sun

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at mediaone.net
Fri Nov 30 10:51:33 EST 2001

Matt Balaun wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Nov 2001, Jeb Barger wrote:
> > I am looking to move my webserver from IIS to Linux, and was thinking
> > about sun sparcstation <sp?>, and I was wondering if it would run Linux?
> > I thought this would be a cheap and efficient solution.  Does anybody
> > have any other suggestions and will a sparcstation run linux?
>
> You *can* run linux on a sparc, but you'll get better performance running
> Solaris/SunOS on it.  Last time I checked, Linux just wasn't delivering
> the same level of performance as Solaris when run on Sparc hardware.  This
> was, however, on a Sparcstation 10.  Your mileage may vary on more recent
> hardware.
>
> -Matt Balaun
>
> ---
> sent to listmaster at ale dot org.

I would count this among "if you HAD to" endeavors - i.e., all you have for hw
is a Sparc and you don't have and/or can't afford Solaris.  My issue is that
Linux on Sparc gets maybe 1/1000th the attention of Linux on Intel OR Solaris
on Sparc.  However, even having said that, running Apache is probably one of
the most common things to do given Linux/Sparc, so maybe you aren't gonna hurt
for oxygen TOO badly...

- Jeff