[ale] Configuring XF86 for IBM Mouse

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at mediaone.net
Fri Nov 30 03:37:04 EST 2001

When I went mouse-shopping, the most attractive one I found was not
among the most expensive - an IBM Optical Navigator (manufactured, as it
happens, by MI-Products).  It's a wired mouse, no ball, with a scrolling
wheel that pushes as a third button.  There is also a fourth button for
the thumb to use.

RH 7.2's install seemed to deal with the wheel/3rd button OK but I had
to re-run Xconfigurator in order to get the video resolution I wanted
and when I did, any and all mouse config got reduced to ordinary PS/2.
The wheel does not work as a button or as a wheel (rolling it just snaps
the mouse pointer large distances vertically).

I've been unable to look up any useful info about the mouse and
'protocol "Auto"' failed.  Can anyone tell me what I might use in
XF86Config as the protocol for this thing?  It's OK if the thumb button
nver works, but I am finding that I need that third button to function
and I'd prefer scrollability in the wheel.

- Jeff