[ale] opinion on Bellsouth DSL modems

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Fri Nov 23 22:20:40 EST 2001

Don't get the internal modem unless you are using Microsoft windows.
There are no drivers for Linux for any internal DSL modems yet.

The early DSL installs used a bridged connection which required
registering the MAC address of the  NIC that was connected to the
external modem. Most of the new installs use PPPoE. RoaringPenguin,
while not the faster, kernel based version, is still very reliable and
stable. It is also easy to setup. The system overhead is a bit more than
the kernel version, but not substantial enough to notice a slow down of
the box unless it's a really low end box (sub P133).