[ale] cd writer problems continued...

Geoffrey esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Wed Nov 21 13:20:44 EST 2001

I had posted earlier about problems with my cd writer causing kernel
panics.  I figured I'd have to replace it, but as a last ditch effort, I
pulled it out and stuck it into another box.  Just created a perfectly
good cd.  I don't know if it's a problem with interrupts or what, but
the thing is working fine in the other box.  There's quite a bit of
difference in the two though.

original	new
celeron 400	p166
384 m ram	40 m ram
Mandrake 8.0	Red Hat 7.1
Radeon vid.	noname vid
tv/capture card
40 gig hd	1.2 gig hd
printer
usb scanner
external modem
single nic	two nics

Seems the original box shouldn't have any problem, although it does have
a lot more 'stuff' in it.   I orginally attempted to install Mandrake
8.1 on the 'new' box, but kept getting a perl syntax error during the
install, too wierd.

I figured I'd share this with the list.  As it looks now, there's
nothing wrong with my cd writer, although I've only burned one cd.  When
it was in the other box, it would very consistently (like every time)
panic, although as you might expect, I didn't try it a lot.

Anyone who might have any clues as to what might have been causing this
problem, I'd appreciate hearing.  I'll probably leave this thing in this
box though as it works fine there and takes that 'load' off my primary
box.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

"...the system (Microsoft passport) carries significant risks to users
that
are not made adequately clear in the technical documentation available."
- David P. Kormann and Aviel D. Rubin, AT&T Labs - Research
- http://www.avirubin.com/passport.html